17.12.12

Something to sew on

My sewing machine has spent most of its life boxed up and tucked away in a dark cupboard corner. I liked knowing it was there, but wasn't falling over myself about actually getting it out.
I've always been more at home with a pair of knitting needles - sewing machines make me a little anxious. Well they did, and then a few months back I thought it was about time I had a proper go - so out it came, and out it stayed until I'd made a sofa colony of owls from secondhand vintage sheets and bedspreads. They winged their way down to a Christmas craft fair in London last week, and sold pretty well.

The thing is, having the sewing machine out all the time is a bit of a pain, because there's nowhere obvious for it to go, and I daren't put it back in the cupboard. Might not come out again.
It's been majorly getting in the way, so I thought a wooden trolley could be the answer - a home on wheels, and there'd be space underneath for material and other bits and bobs.

Amazingly there were FOUR old trolleys at the local auction last week. Unbelievable. This never usually happens when I'm looking for something. And it gets better, because it seems there's not much demand for trolleys - I got mine for just two pounds. So chuffed about that! It has a drawer at the front, which we eventually managed to prise open - sadly no treasure though, just some mouldy old placemats.


So giving it a revamp is one of my after christmas projects...and there's more...because this came in the same lot.

I'd no idea, until I went to collect the trolley! Not the most beautiful bedside table, but it's got potential - and two bits of furniture for two quid can't be bad. Hopefully they'll both look quite different the next time you see them.
And I've just finished my tiny £2 table makeover - a quick sand and then covered the top with some vintage domino cards I picked up at a french street sale in the summer. Far too lovely to be hidden away in a box don't you think?



Linking up with marvellous Magpie Monday 
and Lakota's Ta-dah! Tuesday